Friday, April 30, 2010

printmaking orgies



For our final assignment, we are doing what my eloquent professor calls, a printmaking orgy.

A printmaking orgy is a collaborative piece in the beginning, and then the individuals go into their own pieces and fix all the shit they don't like. I hate collaborative pieces. I think everyone I end up working with is either more or less talented than I am, which means that I'm either frustrated with how inept they are or how inept I am. Anyhow, the orgy works out to be a stack of numbered paper which everyone just madly prints on (although it's supposed to be somewhat calculated.. you know using basic color theory and making good aesthetic choices), and then at the end the professor sorts out the numbers until everyone gets their paper back. The numbers is so we aren't biased based on whose paper we're printing on since any of the sheets could potentially be ours. I'm not sure if it was rigged in the end or not, but shortly after mentioning to my professor that number 9's papers had two of my favorites (see first image, that's one of them), my professor announced to me that my pile happened to be number 9. I still got some real crap sheets mixed in though.

So that brings me to today, where I worked on blasting the crap turd ones with ink. I also finished one (out of six) today (that's picture number 2)! The theme is mutation and I'm not sure how I'm going to argue that this one has anything to do with mutation but it's abstract. So yeah, it could be anything, man.

It's Kentucky Derby Day! Usually I wouldn't care, but I bet $5 on Lookin' at Lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment